Metropolitan Police Launch Investigation Into Allegations Against Russell Brand
Metropolitan Police have launched an investigation into the “non recent” sexual offences allegations made against Russell Brand.
Earlier this month, an investigation by The Times, The Sunday Times and Channel 4’s Dispatches made public allegations of rape, sexual assault and bullying against the 48-year-old.
Brand has denied all the allegations.
Stay up-to-date on the latest news with The National Briefing – keeping you in the loop with news as it hits:
In a statement from police, which did not identify Brand, they said, “a number of allegations of sexual offences in London” and other parts of the country had been received.
“We continue to encourage anyone who believes they may have been a victim of a sexual offence, no matter how long ago it was, to contact us,” lead investigator of the case, Detective Superintendent Andy Furphy said.
“We understand it can feel like a difficult step to take and I want to reassure that we have a team of specialist officers available to advise and support.”
The statement also said police would offer support to “all the women” who have come forward with allegations and encourage others who believe they were sexually assaulted to come forward.
No arrests have been made at this stage.
Listen to The Briefing’s episode discussing the allegations against Russell Brand:
Subscribe to The Briefing, Australia’s fastest-growing news podcast on Listnr today. The Briefing serves up the latest news headlines and a deep dive into a topic affecting you. All in under 20 minutes.