DOWNLOAD THE FREE LiSTNR APP
AAP

Melbourne Man Expected To Face Charges For Nazi Salute

Jacob Hersant is expected to be the first person charged for breaching Victoria’s Nazi salute laws after allegedly performing the action outside a Melbourne court last month. 

According to the Victoria Police, the gesture was allegedly carried out by Mr Hersant following his appearance in the County Court, where he was spared additional jail time over an assault on six hikers in regional Victoria in 2021.

Stay up-to-date on the latest news with The Victorian Briefing – keeping you in the loop with news as it hits:

On October 37, Mr Hersant stood before news cameras, saying “Heil Hitler” while raising his right arm about a 90-degree angle from his shoulder and quickly pulling it down.

He said: “Nearly did it, it’s illegal now, isn’t it”. He laughed and lowered his arm.

Accompanied by fellow far-right extremist Thomas Sewell, Hersant added, “Australia for the white man, heil Hitler,” as he walked away.

Victoria Police revealed that a 24-year-old man from Point Cook was interviewed and is anticipated to be charged via summons. 

RELATED:   Unsolved NSW Crimes With A $1,000,000 Reward For Information

This incident has marked the first reported occurrence of a Nazi salute to authorities since the introduction of new legislation prohibiting the gesture, which came into effect on October 21.

Mr Hersant and Sewell were sentenced in the County Court on Friday after pleading guilty to violent disorder against three bushwalkers who filmed the pair’s group as they gathered at the Cathedral Range State Park at Taggerty in May 2021.

“Police will be taking a zero-tolerance approach to any breach on the prohibition on performing Nazi salutes or displaying Nazi symbols in public,” Victoria Police said.

Subscribe to The Briefing, Australia’s fastest-growing news podcast on Listnr today. The Briefing serves up the latest news headlines and a deep dive into a topic affecting you. All in under 20 minutes.