Search Continues For Man Killed By Shark Off South Australian Coast
Police and emergency services have resumed their search for the body of a man believed to be victim of a fatal shark attack.
The 55-year-old man was surfing at Granites Beach, south of Streaky Bay when he was attacked on Tuesday morning.
Just after 10.20am, witnesses say the shark dragged the man under water.
Stay up-to-date on the latest news with The South Australia Briefing – keeping you in the loop with news as it hits:
The AAP reported a 4.2 metre great white shark was spotted in the water just after the man had disappeared.
It is South Australia’s second fatal shark attack in just six months.
In May, local teacher Simon Baccanello, 46, was killed in a shark attack off West Coast town of Elliston.
Local surfer Jeff Schmuker told ABC Radio he was about to jump into the water before hearing the commotion.
Moments after, he rode on his Jetski to the spot the man had been surfing, where the great white then circled him.
“All the kids were on the rocks waving at me and yelling and I knew there was something wrong well before we even got there,” he said.
“I’ve seen many great whites in my fishing career. It just rammed home events over the last 20 or 30 years.
“…There’s too many sharks to actually think that surfing is anywhere near safe on the West Coast.”
Subscribe to The Briefing, Australia’s fastest-growing news podcast on Listnr today. The Briefing serves up the latest news headlines and a deep dive into a topic affecting you. All in under 20 minutes.