The patient was believed to have been infected after coming into contact with native grasses near a lake inhabited by carpet pythons.
It’s suspected that the worm was shed by a python through its faeces, which then contaminated the grasses.
The patient may have ingested the worm’s eggs by consuming the contaminated grass or touching it and transferring the eggs to food or utensils.
She is now recovering well and is still being regularly monitored by doctors.
The researchers’ findings are published in the journal Emerging Infectious Diseases.
Subscribe to The Briefing, Australia’s fastest-growing news podcast on Listnr today. The Briefing serves up the latest news headlines and a deep dive into a topic affecting you. All in under 20 minutes.