Injury Forces Nick Kyrgios To Withdraw From Wimbledon
Nick Kyrgios has taken to social media to announce he has withdrawn from Wimbledon due to injury.
Kyrgios said a torn ligament in his wrist forced him to make the decision to pull out of the tournament in which he made the final in last year.
Stay up-to-date on the latest news with The National Briefing – keeping you in the loop with news as it hits:
“I’m really sad to say that I have to withdraw from Wimbledon this year,” he wrote via an Instagram story.
“I tried my hardest to be ready after my surgery and be able to step on the Wimbledon courts again.
“During my comeback I experienced some pain in my wrist … as a precaution I had it scanned, and it came back showing a torn ligament in my wrist.
“I tried everything to be able to play and I am disappointed to say that I just didn’t have enough time to manage it before Wimbledon.”
The Australian tennis player had said just only hours earlier that he was fit and ready to compete.
Kyrgios was the 30th seed coming into Wimbledon and was due to face Belgium’s David Goffin on Monday night in their first-round match-up.
He had told reporters on Sunday he felt “as good as I probably could feel at the moment”, but hadn’t put “unfair expectations” on himself after a season riddled with injuries.
Kyrgios has only played one competitive match in the last nine months due to a knee injury.
Subscribe to The Briefing, Australia’s fastest-growing news podcast on Listnr today. The Briefing serves up the latest news headlines and a deep dive into a topic affecting you. All in under 20 minutes.