Getty Image

Woman Dies After Being Tasered By Police Near Newcastle

A woman has died in hospital after being hit with a taser during a stand-off with police.

The incident occurred at a unit complex on Mitchell Street in Stockton, prompting law enforcement authorities to respond immediately.

Stay up-to-date on the latest news with The New South Wales Briefing – keeping you in the loop with news as it hits:

Reports suggest that the woman allegedly threatened people with an axe before she barricaded herself inside one of the units. 

Officers broke into the property around 9:45pm last night and took the woman into custody after using a taser to subdue her.

She was treated by paramedics, but her condition deteriorated rapidly after being Tasered. 

Despite their efforts, her condition did not improve, and she was subsequently rushed to John Hunter Hospital, where she later died. 

In response to this distressing incident, the New South Wales (NSW) Police have initiated a critical incident investigation. 

RELATED:   Concerns Mount Over Aussie Bro Squad's TikTok Fame And Welfare

The NSW Police issued a statement regarding the ongoing investigation, saying, “a crime scene was established and a critical incident team from the Homicide Squad will now investigate all circumstances surrounding the incident.”

The police have scheduled a press conference for 10:30am on Friday.

The incident has raised questions about the use of Tasers by law enforcement officers and the protocols in place to ensure the safety of individuals involved in such confrontations. 

Earlier this month, a police officer was charged after allegedly tastering a 95-year-old great-grandmother at her nursing home in southern NSW.

Clare Nowland fell and fractured her skull, and died in hospital on Monday 24.

Subscribe to The Briefing, Australia’s fastest-growing news podcast on Listnr today. The Briefing serves up the latest news headlines and a deep dive into a topic affecting you. All in under 20 minutes.